The "View" from 7000 ft.....Flagstaff Arizona

Nicknamed: "City of Seven Wonders"

My Photo
Name:

growing old too soon quick...

Saturday, March 04, 2006

soliciting opinions and advice........retirement is near

As most of you know, I recently turned 55, and with this milestone achieved ~ I feel it is now time to get serious about creating a sideline business that will serve to occupy my time and generate a small amount of revenue to offset my pension.........

My goals/limitations would include.....
  • Run business from my home
  • Will not require a huge investment in inventory
  • No specific window for sales hours (i.e. 8 to 5 M-F)
  • Tax deductible for normal business expenditures
  • Legitimate in the eyes of the IRS
  • Limited Liability

Here's what I was thinking......

  • Maybe an eBay type of enterprise (gotta be able to find a niche tho')
  • Something with crafts (maybe stained glass or southwest gourds)
  • Something I could sell from under a booth / tent at shows
  • Become an ordained minister and perform weddings for bizzare situations (mountain tops, hot-air balloons, etc.)

OK ~ here is where my blog buddies come in........ got any ideas or recommendations? Let's hear it?

4 Comments:

Blogger kevin said...

The minister idea would be interesting and pretty fulfilling without requiring a lot of work. Having a good website and marketing it well would make a big impact. When we were looking for a minister, it was really nice to find one that we were comfortable with and who was flexible with our beliefs and ideas. You've certainly got the location for unique wedding destinations.

2:38 PM  
Blogger Project Man said...

Thanks Kevin. I really think I could do a good job at this. The process for getting ordained is easier than getting a drivers license. I am prepared to invest a lot of energy in preparing a few well written ceremonies and practicing my delivery.

A website coupled with good marketing is critical to success. Almost everyone who anticipates a wedding is doing their research via the internet.

4:24 PM  
Blogger sarah said...

Yeah, you'll need a great website and a picture of you. I can't tell you how many websites we looked at with really creepy pictures of "alternative" ministers. Just looking normal will get you a lot of mileage! :-P

Working at weddings can really eat into your weekend schedules, though, and people want to book pretty far in advance. If you go for it and business starts to pick up, you may want to block off some vacation time at the beginning of each year. I know traveling is a new big priority for you too.

2:04 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Wait a sec...a minister??? You would be such an AWSOME minister, and with your own lovely bride at your side you couldn't fail. And (bonus point) free food! Happy company! Big parties! I think you should definately sign up!

7:04 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home