The "View" from 7000 ft.....Flagstaff Arizona

Nicknamed: "City of Seven Wonders"

My Photo
Name:

growing old too soon quick...

Saturday, February 18, 2006

what is your favorite outdoor barbecue memory?

If you are reading this ~ please take the time to share your memory....

Mine took place in the year 1958 ~ or there abouts..... During that time my father was in the Air Force and we lived in Ardmore Oklahoma. It was a chicken and ribs barbecue at the base park for all the non-commissioned officers. We were relatively poor at the time (although I really never perceived it) and food was adequate but not necessarily plentiful. The day we went to the park I couldn't believe my eyes. 55 gallon drums were cut in half and made into grills. There must have been 10 or 12 of them, and every one was loaded with chicken breasts and ribs. The BBQ sauce was carmelized on every piece and you could have all you wanted......imagine that! I thought that maybe we were the richest people in the world to be able to eat all the chicken and ribs you could ever want. I also remember that there were galvanized garbage cans chocked full of RC Cola, Pepsi Cola and Falstaff Beer. The men were all throwing horseshoes and the women were socializing and playing with the kids........ I love that memory.......

3 Comments:

Blogger Katie said...

Your post prompted a conversation with Matt about our favorite barbeque memory. Although neither of us had a standout story, we both remembered the cook outs we had with the Iraqi firefighters after they graduated from our little fire academy in Iraq. They irony is that we too used 55 gallon drums as grills. It must be tradition in the military. :O)

5:23 PM  
Blogger sarah said...

Same here: I can't think of a specific BBQ memory, but grilling out in college was always such a treat. I didn't have a grill, but my boyfriend Adam did, and we would grill burgers, brats or chicken in the fall and spring (steak was an extra-special menu item). When I started dating Keith, we would grill shishkebobs in the summer when he lived in Athens and I lived in Pennsylvania. Long lazy days and nights drinking beers and grilling. Those were the days!

7:33 AM  
Blogger kevin said...

I've been to so many barbecues and cookouts, it is hard to pinpoint a favorite. But one that stands out was when I was living in my first apartment after college. My parents came down to watch me run in the Cincinnati Flying Pig 5 Mile Race. After the race, my Aunt Linda's family came over and I grilled out in the back yard. It was one of the first times I had "hosted" in my own place for my family. So it wasn't a big barbeque, but the experience was memorable for me.

5:38 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home