The "View" from 7000 ft.....Flagstaff Arizona

Nicknamed: "City of Seven Wonders"

My Photo
Name:

growing old too soon quick...

Thursday, January 10, 2008

1969


In the summer of 1969, the United States was still drafting young men into the military and the US was fully engaged in Vietnam. Knowing I would be drafted, and wanting to make the best out of the situation, I joined the US Navy with my only stipulation being that I would go to bootcamp in San Diego, California versus Great Lakes, Michigan.

When I graduated from Bootcamp, my parents drove from Ohio to San Diego to witness the graduation ceremony. Dad was really into taking slides with his *35MM camera which was cool back then ~ but made it difficult to get actual photographs unless you sent the slides to Kodak, waited about 2 weeks, and paid a fortune.
*Heather Morton now owns the camera and I think it still works

I have had a slide of Mom and me, taken by Dad, for about 10 years now and have never had a way to conveniently convert it until recently. I now have a cool device in which I can insert the slide and capture the image, then save it in a .jpg format. I hope to work with my brother Bob to start converting slides from our racing days ~ and get some of the archived slides from Mom and try to capture some of the family photographs from years long past.
Enjoy!

2 Comments:

Blogger sarah said...

What a nice photo of you and Grandma!

10:51 AM  
Blogger Katie said...

She has those same great cheeks...and, well, you look, uhm, young!

7:54 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home