The "View" from 7000 ft.....Flagstaff Arizona

Nicknamed: "City of Seven Wonders"

My Photo
Name:

growing old too soon quick...

Friday, April 21, 2006

My Grandfather's WW1 Field Compass

I was at the age where sentimental things didn't quite register. After all, I was only 18 years old and here was my Mother handing me what appeared to be a watch box. Gee, I don't even like watches and here I was getting one as a gift. I could tell by the look in her eyes that she wanted me to open it at that moment ~ so I did. Inside is this huge army green compass with a leather strap. Wow, cool, I actually was less than enthusiastic, but I was raised to be polite so I asked a few questions, gave my Mom a hug, then tucked it inside my dresser drawer wondering what in the world I would ever do with it ~ when might I have the need to use such an awkward device.......
Spring forward to today, 37 years later. My satellite dish is securely mounted to the top of my 5th wheel, I look at the dish on my house and make a rough guess-timate on where the satellite is, then home in on it using the beeps from my receiver.....but, what if I don't have another dish to get my rough coordinates? ~~~~~ what I really need is a compass. Then it dawned on me, now I realize why I kept it in my drawer for 37 years, 8 states later, 4 years in the Navy on nuclear submarines..... looking at it countless times ~ I have what I need and I got it 37 years ago.
The irony of this is that here I am using a compass that my Grandfather used during the first World War. He used it to get his bearings and find his way through battlefields ~ and I am now using the same device to find the coordinates of a telecommunications satellite. The times might have changed but the technology of the compass works as well today as it did back then.
Now I carry My Grandfather's WWI Field Compass in the RV and every time I setup the dish, I think of my Mother's Father ~ my Grandpa. I also think about my Mom and am thankfull that she gave me the compass 37 years ago.

3 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

What a great story! It reminds me a bit of the pocketwatch speech from Sarah and Kevin's wedding. You have some cool heirlooms in your family--and a knack for telling stories about them, too!

12:03 PM  
Blogger sarah said...

Very cool Dad! (Susan said what I was going to say.) :-)

12:06 PM  
Blogger Project Man said...

Thanks Susan and Sarah. I appreciate your kind words......

2:04 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home